all posts by


by on June 30, 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, June 2017

Important happenings for Gluster for June:

Gluster Summit 2017!

Gluster Summit 2017 will be held in Prague, Czech Republic on October 27 and 28th.

More details at:

https://www.gluster.org/events/summit2017  

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

3.11 Retrospective

Thanks all who gave feedback! From the notes we got, you’d like to see us do better release testing, you want to continue to see a focus on performance for small files, gluster swift, monitoring. You like how we’re putting our release plans publicly on Github, and we’re planning on continuing that! You’d like to see the ways that a feature gets proposed be streamlined, and we’ll look to that in future releases. We’ll be doing retrospectives for every major release, watch for the next one for 3.12.

Noteworthy threads from the mailing lists:

 

Vijay Bellur asks – Who’s using OpenStack Cinder & Gluster?

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-June/031370.html

Nithya B asks for Gluster Documentation Feedback

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-June/031498.html

Raghavendra Talur introduces minister

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-June/031589.html

Shyam announces Release 3.12: Scope and calendar!

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/052953.html

Krutika Dhananjay outlines performance experiments with io-stats translator

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/052993.html

Amar requests [Need Feedback] Monitoring

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053048.html

Nigel proposes Regression Voting Changes

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053080.html

Amar explains a new ‘experimental’ branch created for validating your ideas

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053092.html

Raghavendra Talur starts a conversation on brick multiplexing and memory consumption

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053101.html

Pranith Kumar Karampuri suggests changes to backport information while porting patches

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053140.html

Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar comments on adding xxhash to gluster code base

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053173.html

Amar posts updates on Maintainers 2.0

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053192.html

Jeff Darcy notes a need for a new coding standard

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-June/053204.html

 

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Kaleb Keithley, Michael Scherer, Nigel Babu, Prashanth Pai, Nithya Balachandran

 

Upcoming CFPs:

Open Source Summit Europe –

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe/program/cfp

July 8

Gluster Summit 2017  –https://goo.gl/forms/IUacgG5JjpuMTWe52 – July 31

by on June 4, 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, May 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, May 2017

Important happenings for Gluster for May:

3.11 Release!

Our 3.11 release is officially out!

https://blog.gluster.org/2017/05/announcing-gluster-3-11/

Note that this is a short term supported release.

3.12 is underway with a feature freeze date of July 17, 2017.

Gluster Summit 2017!

Gluster Summit 2017 will be held in Prague, Czech Republic on October 27 and 28th. We’ll be opening a call for papers for this instead of having an application process to attend.

https://www.gluster.org/events/summit2017  

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

We hope this means that more people can join us. Kaushal outlines the changes on the mailing list: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051918.html

 

From Red Hat Summit:

Container-Native Storage for Modern Applications with OpenShift and Red Hat Gluster Storage

http://bit.ly/2qpLVP0

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Architecting and Performance-Tuning Efficient Gluster Storage Pools

http://bit.ly/2qpMgkK

 

Noteworthy threads from the mailing lists:

Announcing GlusterFS release 3.11.0 (Short Term Maintenance) – Shyam –

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-May/031298.html  

GlusterFS and Kafka – Christopher Schmidt –

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-May/031185.html

gluster-block v0.2 is alive! – Prasanna Kalever – http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-May/030933.html

GlusterFS removal from Openstack Cinder – Joe Julian

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-May/031223.html

Release 3.12 and 4.0: Thoughts on scope – Shyam  –

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052811.html

Reviews older than 90 days  – Amar Tumballi –

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052844.html  

[Proposal]: Changes to how we test and vote each patch  – Amar Tumballi –  

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052868.html

Volgen support for loading trace and io-stats translators at specific points in the graph – Krutika Dhananjay –

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052881.html  

Backport for “Add back socket for polling of events immediately…” – Shyam

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052887.html  

[Proposal]: New branch (earlier: Changes to how we test and vote each patch) –  Amar Tumballi –   

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052933.html  

 

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Krutika Dhananjay, Michael Scherer, Kaleb S. Keithley, Nigel Babu, Xavier Hernandez

 

Upcoming CFPs:

Open Source Summit Europe –

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe/program/cfp

July 8

 

by on May 1, 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, April 2017

 

Release 3.11 has been branched and tagged! More details on the mailing list.

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-April/030764.html

 

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

We hope this means that more people can join us. Kaushal outlines the changes on the mailing list: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051918.html

 

New meetup! We’re delighted to welcome the first Seattle Storage meetup, run by our very own Joe Julian.

https://www.meetup.com/Seattle-Storage-Meetup/

 

Coming to Red Hat Summit?

Come find us at the Gluster Community Booth in our Community Central area!

 

Upcoming Talks:

Red Hat Summit:

Container-Native Storage for Modern Applications with OpenShift and Red Hat Gluster Storage

http://bit.ly/2qpLVP0

Architecting and Performance-Tuning Efficient Gluster Storage Pools

http://bit.ly/2qpMgkK

 

Noteworthy threads:

Gluster-users:

Announcing release 3.11 : Scope, schedule and feature tracking

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-April/030561.html

Usability Initiative for Gluster: Documentation

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-April/030567.html

How do you oVirt? Here the answers!

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-April/030592.html

Revisiting Quota functionality in GlusterFS

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-April/030676.html

 

Gluster-devel:

Back porting guidelines: Change-ID consistency across branches

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-April/052495.html

GlusterFS+NFS-Ganesha longevity cluster

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-April/052503.html

GFID2 – Proposal to add extra byte to existing GFID

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-April/052520.html

[Gluster-Maintainers] Maintainers 2.0 Proposal

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-April/052551.html

Proposal for an extended READDIRPLUS operation via gfAPI

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-April/052596.html

 

Gluster-infra:

Jenkins Upgrade

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-infra/2017-April/003495.html

 

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Krutika Dhananjay, Michael Scherer, Kaleb S. Keithley, Nigel Babu, Xavier Hernandez

 

Upcoming CFPs:

Open Source Summit North America – http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america/program/cfp  – May 6

Open Source Summit Europe –

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe/program/cfp

July 8

by on March 31, 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, March 2017

 

3.10 Release: If you didn’t already see this, we’ve released Gluster 3.10. Further details on the blog.

https://blog.gluster.org/2017/02/announcing-gluster-3-10/

 

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

We hope this means that more people can join us. Kaushal outlines the changes on the mailing list: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051918.html

 

New meetup!

Seattle Storage Meetup has its first meeting, April 13!

 

Upcoming Talks:

Red Hat Summit –

Container-Native Storage for Modern Applications with OpenShift and Red Hat Gluster Storage

Architecting and Performance-Tuning Efficient Gluster Storage Pools

 

Noteworthy threads:

Gluster-users:

Gluster RPC Internals – Lecture #1 – recording – Milind Changire

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030136.html

Shyam announces release 3.11 : Scope, schedule and feature tracking

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030251.html

Vijay announces new demos in Community Meeting

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030264.html

Prasanna Kalever posts about Elasticsearch with gluster-block

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030302.html

Raghavendra Talur has a proposal to deprecate replace-brick for “distribute only” volumes

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030304.html

Deepak Naidu asks about Secured mount in GlusterFS using keys

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030312.html

Ramesh Nachimuthu has a question for gluster-users: How do you oVirt?

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030366.html  

Joe Julian announces a Seattle Storage meetup

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-March/030398.html

 

Gluster-devel:

Shyam posts about Back porting guidelines: Change-ID consistency across branches

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052216.html

Niels de Vos asks about a pluggable interface for erasure coding?

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052223.html

Niels de Vos has a proposal on Reducing maintenance burden and moving fuse support to an external project

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052238.html

Nigel Babu starts a conversation on defining a good build

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052245.html

Ben Werthmann announces gogfapi improvements

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052274.html

Saravanakumar Arumugam posts about Gluster Volume as object storage with S3 interface

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052263.html

Vijay posts about Maintainers 2.0 proposal

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052321.html

George Lian posts: nodeid changed due to write-behind option changed online will lead to unexpected umount by kernel

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052372.html

Sriram posts a proposal for Gluster volume snapshot – Plugin architecture proposal

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052385.html

Mark Ferrell posts improvements for Gluster volume snapshot

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052396.html

Sonal Arora has a script to identify ref leaks

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052468.html

 

Gluster-infra:

Nigel Babu posts about RPM build failures post-mortem

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-infra/2017-March/003300.html

Nigel Babu posts about Servers in UTC now (mostly)

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-infra/2017-March/003368.html

 

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Krutika Dhananjay, Michael Scherer, Kaleb S. Keithley, Nigel Babu, Xavier Hernandez

 

Upcoming CFPs:

OpenSource Summit Los Angeles – http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america/program/cfp  – May 6

 

by on March 1, 2017

FOSDEM 2017 Gluster Talks

This year at FOSDEM, we helped run a Software Defined Storage DevRoom on Sunday, February 5th:

For those who weren’t able to make it, we’ve collected the recordings from the event related to Gluster here.

GlusterD-2.0 – the next generation of GlusterFS management – Kaushal Madappa

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glusterd2/

Gluster Features Update – Niels de Vos

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/cephglustercommunity/

SELinux Support over GlusterFS  – Jiffin Tony Thottan

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glusterselinux/  

Hyper-converged, persistent storage for containers with GlusterFS – Jose Rivera, Mohamed Ashiq

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glustercontainer/

 

Our overall schedule:

GlusterD-2.0 – The next generation of GlusterFS management Kaushal Madappa
Introduction to Ceph cloud object storage Orit Wasserman
Storage overloaded to smoke? Legolize with LizardFS! Michal Bielicki
Gluster Features Overview,  Niels de Vos
Ceph Community Update Patrick McGarry
Evaluating NVMe drives for accelerating HBase, NVM HBase acceleration Nicolas Poggi
Ceph USB Storage Gateway David Disseldorp
Ceph and Storage management with openATTIC Lenz Grimmer
SELinux Support over GlusterFS Jiffin Tony Thottan
Deploying Ceph Clusters with Salt Jan Fajerski
Hyper-converged, persistent storage for containers with GlusterFS  – Jose Rivera, Mohamed Ashiq
Ceph weather report Orit Wasserman

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/software_defined_storage/  

 

by on February 27, 2017

Announcing Gluster 3.10

Release notes for Gluster 3.10.0

The Gluster community is pleased to announce the release of Gluster 3.10.

This is a major Gluster release that includes some substantial changes. The features revolve around, better support in container environments, scaling to larger number of bricks per node, and a few usability and performance improvements, among other bug fixes. This releases marks the completion of maintenance releases for Gluster 3.7 and 3.9. Moving forward, Gluster versions 3.10 and 3.8 are actively maintained.  

The most notable features and changes are documented here as well as in our full release notes on Github. A full list of bugs that has been addressed is included on that page as well.

Major changes and features

Brick multiplexing

Multiplexing reduces both port and memory usage. It does not improve performance vs. non-multiplexing except when memory is the limiting factor, though there are other related changes that improve performance overall (e.g. compared to 3.9).

Multiplexing is off by default. It can be enabled with

# gluster volume set all cluster.brick-multiplex on

Support to display op-version information from clients

To get information on what op-version are supported by the clients, users can invoke the gluster volume status command for clients. Along with information on hostname, port, bytes read, bytes written and number of clients connected per brick, we now also get the op-version on which the respective clients operate. Following is the example usage:

# gluster volume status <VOLNAME|all> clients

Support to get maximum op-version in a heterogeneous cluster

A heterogeneous cluster operates on a common op-version that can be supported across all the nodes in the trusted storage pool. Upon upgrade of the nodes in the cluster, the cluster might support a higher op-version. Users can retrieve the maximum op-version to which the cluster could be bumped up to by invoking the gluster volume getcommand on the newly introduced global option, cluster.max-op-version. The usage is as follows:

# gluster volume get all cluster.max-op-version

Support for rebalance time to completion estimation

Users can now see approximately how much time the rebalance operation will take to complete across all nodes.

The estimated time left for rebalance to complete is displayed as part of the rebalance status. Use the command:

# gluster volume rebalance <VOLNAME> status

Separation of tier as its own service

This change is to move the management of the tier daemon into the gluster service framework, thereby improving it stability and manageability by the service framework.

This has no change to any of the tier commands or user facing interfaces and operations.

 

Statedump support for gfapi based applications

gfapi based applications now can dump state information for better trouble shooting of issues. A statedump can be triggered in two ways:

  1. by executing the following on one of the Gluster servers,
  2. # gluster volume statedump <VOLNAME> client <HOST>:<PID>
    • <VOLNAME> should be replaced by the name of the volume
    • <HOST> should be replaced by the hostname of the system running the gfapi application
    • <PID> should be replaced by the PID of the gfapi application
  3. through calling glfs_sysrq(<FS>, GLFS_SYSRQ_STATEDUMP) within the application
    • <FS> should be replaced by a pointer to a glfs_t structure

All statedumps (*.dump.* files) will be located at the usual location, on most distributions this would be /var/run/gluster/.

Disabled creation of trash directory by default

From now onwards trash directory, namely .trashcan, will not be be created by default upon creation of new volumes unless and until the feature is turned ON and the restrictions on the same will be applicable as long as features.trash is set for a particular volume.

Implemented parallel readdirp with distribute xlator

Currently the directory listing gets slower as the number of bricks/nodes increases in a volume, though the file/directory numbers remain unchanged. With this feature, the performance of directory listing is made mostly independent of the number of nodes/bricks in the volume. Thus scale doesn’t exponentially reduce the directory listing performance. (On a 2, 5, 10, 25 brick setup we saw ~5, 100, 400, 450% improvement consecutively)

To enable this feature:

# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> performance.readdir-ahead on
# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> performance.parallel-readdir on

To disable this feature:

# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> performance.parallel-readdir off

If there are more than 50 bricks in the volume it is good to increase the cache size to be more than 10Mb (default value):

# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> performance.rda-cache-limit <CACHE SIZE>

md-cache can optionally -ve cache security.ima xattr

From kernel version 3.X or greater, creating of a file results in removexattr call on security.ima xattr. This xattr is not set on the file unless IMA feature is active. With this patch, removxattr call returns ENODATA if it is not found in the cache.

The end benefit is faster create operations where IMA is not enabled.

To cache this xattr use,

# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> performance.cache-ima-xattrs on

The above option is on by default.

Added support for CPU extensions in disperse computations

To improve disperse computations, a new way of generating dynamic code targeting specific CPU extensions like SSE and AVX on Intel processors is implemented. The available extensions are detected on run time. This can roughly double encoding and decoding speeds (or halve CPU usage).

This change is 100% compatible with the old method. No change is needed if an existing volume is upgraded.

You can control which extensions to use or disable them with the following command:

# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> disperse.cpu-extensions <type>

Valid values are:

  • none: Completely disable dynamic code generation
  • auto: Automatically detect available extensions and use the best one
  • x64: Use dynamic code generation using standard 64 bits instructions
  • sse: Use dynamic code generation using SSE extensions (128 bits)
  • avx: Use dynamic code generation using AVX extensions (256 bits)

The default value is ‘auto’. If a value is specified that is not detected on run-time, it will automatically fall back to the next available option.

Bugs addressed

Bugs addressed since release-3.9 are listed in our full release notes.

by on February 21, 2017

Gluster Monthly Newsletter, January/February 2017

3.10 is at RC1 and is tracking towards a February GA release! Read more about RC1 release —

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/030031.html

 

Find us at Vault next month!

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/vault  

 

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

We hope this means that more people can join us. Kaushal outlines the changes on the mailing list: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051918.html

 

Previous Gluster talks from January/February, now with more recordings!

FOSDEM:

—-

Software Defined Storage DevRoom:

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/software_defined_storage/  

 

GlusterD-2.0

The next generation of GlusterFS management – Kaushal Madappa

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glusterd2/

 

SELinux Support over GlusterFS  – Jiffin Tony Thottan

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glusterselinux/  

 

Hyper-converged, persistent storage for containers with GlusterFS – Jose Rivera, Mohamed Ashiq

https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glustercontainer/

 

Upcoming talks:

Vault

——

Challenges in Management Services for Distributed Storage – Mrugesh Karnik

https://vault2017.sched.com/event/9WQo/challenges-in-management-services-for-distributed-storage-mrugesh-karnik-red-hat  

 

Improving Performance of Directory Operations in Gluster – Manoj Pillai

https://vault2017.sched.com/event/9WQl/improving-performance-of-directory-operations-in-gluster-manoj-pillai-red-hat  

 

Persistent Storage for Containers with Gluster in Containers – Michael Adam –

https://vault2017.sched.com/event/9WQn/persistent-storage-for-containers-with-gluster-in-containers-michael-adam-red-hat

 

Provisioning NFSv4 Storage Using NFS-Ganesha, Gluster, and Pacemaker HA – Kaleb S. Keithley

https://vault2017.sched.com/event/9WQi/provisioning-nfsv4-storage-using-nfs-ganesha-gluster-and-pacemaker-ha-kaleb-s-keithley-red-hat-gluster-storage

 

Next Generation File Replication System In GlusterFS – Rafi Kavungal Chundattu Parambil, Red Hat

https://vault2017.sched.com/event/9WQr/next-generation-file-replication-system-in-glusterfs-rafi-kavungal-chundattu-parambil-red-hat

 

Noteworthy threads:

gluster-users:

Gustave Dahl asks for guidance on converting to shards:

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-January/029745.html

Ziemowit Pierzycki wants to know about high-availability with KVM

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-January/029772.html

Alessandro Briosi asks about gluster and multipath http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-January/029812.html

Kaushal announces Gluster D2 v4.0dev-5 http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/029849.html

Niels de Vos announces 3.8.9 http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/030011.html  

Olivier Lambert asks about removing an artificial limitation of disperse volume

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/029887.html

Daniele Antolini has questions about heterogeneous bricks

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/030016.html

 

gluster-devel:

 

Jeff Darcy provides an update on multiplexing status

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051971.html

Dan Lambright requests a new maintainer for Gluster tiering

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051970.html

Xavier Hernandez asks about creating new options for multiple gluster versions

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/052000.html

Avra Sengupta posts a Leader Election Xlator Design Document http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052015.html

Jeff Darcy posts Acknowledgements for brick multiplexing

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052049.html

Menaka Mohan provides an Outreachy intern update http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052067.html

Jeff Darcy starts a discussion around logging in a multi-brick daemon http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052086.html

Xavier Hernandez requests reviews on a number of patches

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052093.html

Niels de Vos asks Should glusterfs-3.10 become the new default with its first release?

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052121.html

Michael Scherer asks about C99 requirement in Gluster

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052125.html

 

gluster-infra:

 

From gluster-users, Michael Scherer corrects an erroneous mass unsubscription on gluster-users list http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-February/029948.html

From gluster-devel, Nigel Babu notes an upcoming outage in March:

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052126.html  

Nigel Babu posts 2017 Infrastructure Plans

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052126.html  

Shyam starts a discussion (and bug) around changing from bugzilla to github:

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052126.html  

 

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in the last 30 days:

Jeff Darcy, Poornima Gurusiddaiah, Atin Mukherjee, Kaleb S. Keithley, Xavier Hernandez

 

 

Upcoming CFPs:

Open Source Summit Japan –  http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-japan  – March 4

LinuxCon Beijing – http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-containercon-cloudopen-china/program/cfp  – March 18

OpenSource Summit Los Angeles – http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america/program/cfp  – May 6

 

by on January 19, 2017

Gluster Community Newsletter, December 2016

Important happenings in Gluster:

Come see us at DevConf and FOSDEM!

Gluster has a big presence at both DevConf.CZ (https://devconf.cz/schedule.html) as well as FOSDEM! We’ll be exhibiting at FOSDEM with a Gluster stand, and we’ve got an Open Source Software DevRoom. Our schedule for FOSDEM: https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/track/software_defined_storage/  

 

Our weekly community meeting has changed: we’ll be meeting every other week instead of weekly, moving the time to 15:00 UTC, and our agenda is at: https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings

We hope this means that more people can join us. Kaushal outlines the changes on the mailing list: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-January/051918.html  

Our annual community survey has closed, thanks to everyone who participated!

We’ll be posting the results as part of the official January newsletter, along with recordings of the talks at DevConf and FOSDEM.

 

Upcoming talks:

DevConf: Hyper-converged, persistent storage for containers with GlusterFS

FOSDEM: SELinux Support over GlusterFS (https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glustercontainer/ )

Hyper-converged, persistent storage for containers with GlusterFS (https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/glustercontainer/)

 

Noteworthy threads:

gluster-users

A lovely holiday gift from Lindsay Mathieson about stress testing Gluster http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2017-January/029569.html

Vladimir asks about GlusterFS best practices

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029366.html  

Aravinda VK shares glustercli-python project updates

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029376.html

Alexandr Porunov asks how to properly set ACLs in GlusterFS  http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029388.html

Atin Mukherjee responds to an issue of replica brick not working

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029391.html

Shyam annouces 3.10: Feature list frozen http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029416.html

Yonex has questions on file operation failure on simple distributed volume http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029424.html

Shyam has our 3.10 Features Review  http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-December/029478.html

 

gluster-devel

Kaushal comments that etherpads and archiv ing will be going away as of Feb 2017 http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051639.html  

Hari Gowtham has a  3.10 feature proposal : Volume expansion on tiered volumes

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051647.html   

Samikshan Bairagya has a feature proposal for 3.10 release: Support to retrieve maximum supported op-version

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051650.html  

Prasanna Kalever has a 3.10 feature proposal : Gluster Block Storage CLI Integration

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051652.html

Kaleb Keithley has a 3.10 feature proposal, switch to storhaug for ganesha and samba HA setup

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051653.html

Poornima Gurusiddaiah has a 3.10 feature proposal : Parallel readdirp http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051655.htm l

 

gluster-infra

Michael Scherer announces that salt is no longer used in infra: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-infra/2016-December/003039.html   

Gluster Top 5 Contributors in December: 

Niels de Vos, Mohammed Rafi KC,  Kaleb Keithley, Soumya Koduri, Sakshi Bansal

 

Upcoming CFPs:

Open Source Summit Japan (Mar 4)

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-japan/program/cfp

LinuxCon + ContainerCon + CloudOpen China (Mar 18)

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-containercon-cloudopen-china/program/cfp  

Open Source Summit North America (LinuxCon + ContainerCon + CloudOpen + Community Leadership Conference) (May 6) http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america/program/cfp

 

by on November 30, 2016

Gluster Community Newsletter, November 2016

Important happenings for Gluster this month:

Gluster 3.9 is out!

https://blog.gluster.org/2016/11/announcing-gluster-3-9/

 

Gluster’s Annual Community Survey is open until December 9th!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/gluster2016

Results to come out in the December newsletter.

 

Gluster is supporting the Software Defined Storage DevRoom at FOSDEM, speakers to be announced by December 11th, 2016.

 

We also have a stand at FOSDEM, with a call for volunteers: http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029339.html

 

Gluster-users:

Lindsay Mathieson asks for suggestions around Improving IOPS http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/028927.html

Thomas Wakefield requests assistance on implementing Gluster in a university setting http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/028959.html

ML Wong asks for deatils around ganesha-ha.sh http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/028958.html

Andrew Boag promotes a Recent Gluster-related talk at OpenStack summit http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/028980.html

Dan-Joe Lopez posts about Automation of single server addition to replica

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029014.html

songxin has a question about info and info.tmp

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029035.html

Saravanakumar Arumugam asks for help with FSFE pads to github wiki / alternative etherpad – info. required

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029038.html

ML Wong encounters an issue with 3.7.16 with sharding corrupts VMDK files whenadding and removing bricks

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029074.html

Olivier Lambert has a question around corruption using gluster and iSCSI with LIO

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029200.html

Alexandr Porunov is interested in enabling shared_storage

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029223.html

Abhishek Paliwal has an issues with  duplicate UUID entries in “gluster peer status” command

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029243.html

Shyam announces release 3.10 schedule

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-November/029272.html

 

Gluster-devel:

Nokia et al posts about an issue with the size of fstat is less than the size of the syslog file –  http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051341.html

Jonathan Holloway has an update on Glusto-tests and libraries  –  http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051369.html

Nigel asks for assistance with NFS Debugging for Glusto tests and Glusto help in general http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051406.html

Raghavendra Gowdappa requests Feedback on DHT option “cluster.readdir-optimize”

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051417.html

Abhishek Paliwal has a question around getting “Transport endpoint is not connected” in glusterfs mount log file

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051431.html

Sander Eikelenboom asks: Is it possible to turn an existing filesystem (with data) into a GlusterFS brick ?

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051485.html

Humble Devassy Chirammal announces a Container Repo Change + > 50K downloads of Gluster Container images

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051499.html

Lindsay Mathieson has a Feature Request: Lock Volume Settings

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051505.html

Kaushal M announces a new dev release for GlusterD2 – v4.0dev-3

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051547.html

Ankireddypalle Reddy requests Hole punch support

http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-November/051610.html

 

 

Gluster-infra:

Shyam notes a FB: Branch creation http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-infra/2016-November/002978.html

 

Top 5 contributors:

 

Nigel Babu, Krutika Dhananjay, Pranith Kumar K, Poornima Gurusiddaiah, Rajesh Joseph

 

Upcoming CFPs:

 

KubeCon Europe – December 16th –  https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudnativecon-and-kubecon-europe/program/cfp

Vault  – January 14th –

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/vault/program/cfp

Incontro DevOps – January 8th –

http://www.incontrodevops.it/call-for-papers/

Red Hat Summit  – December 16th –  https://rh2017.smarteventscloud.com/portal/cfp/cfpLogin.ww