Hope you installed and tried GlusterFS using the guide from gluster website. In this post we will cover the following topics:
- Get source from git.
- Make and install gluster from source.
Get source from git:
- Install git on your work machine using your favorite package manager. You may have to configure your git installation.
- Visit review.gluster.org and register yourself there. During the process you will have to provide ssh keys to authenticate your push and pull commands to the server. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.
- Then we get the source!
- cd into your preferred working directory for your projects and type
git clone ssh://<UserName>@git.gluster.org/glusterfs.git glusterfs
- Congratulations! You now have the complete source code for your project.
Make and install gluster from source:
NOTE: Gluster has different default installation paths for installation from repo packages and source. If you had installed gluster previously from package manager , please uninstall before you proceed.
- Cd into the glusterfs directory where git has cloned the complete source from git server.
- Run autogen.sh present in the directory.
- Run “./configure –enable-debug” , you may get some output like this
GlusterFS configure summary
FUSE client : yes
Infiniband verbs : no
epoll IO multiplex : yes
argp-standalone : no
fusermount : no
readline : yes
georeplication : yes
Linux-AIO : yes
Enable Debug : no
systemtap : no
Block Device backend : no
We are good to go as long as you have yes against FUSE Client and readline for our current exploration. We will come back and look later at what other components do.
- Lets build! You can call make with CFLAG option O0 to get a debug build.
make CFLAG='-g -O0'
- If previous command completed successfully, that means you now have binaries under the same directory. Now lets install gluster in the right location.
make CFLAG=’-g -O0′ install
Now you have gluster installed on your machine. In the next post we will look at creating volumes in gluster and try to make guesses about architecture of gluster while we observe its behavior.
Assignment: Before we do that, I want you to make a list of all the files that were installed to different paths of the system when we installed gluster.